Fatihcan M. Atay
Coordinator of the group "Dynamical Systems and Network Analysis",
Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences,
Habilitation, Applied Mathematics,
Ph.D. 1994, and Sc.M. 1991, Applied Mathematics, Brown University, Providence, RI
Thesis Advisor: John Mallet-Paret
M.S. with High Honors, Systems and Control Engineering,
Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1989
B.S. with Honors, Mechanical Engineering,
Bogazici University, Istanbul, 1985
Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences,
Adjunct Associate Professor
Bogazici University, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Istanbul (2001-2002)
Yeditepe University, Faculty of Engineering, Istanbul (2002)
Senior Research Scientist and Technical Consultant
Artesis Technology Systems,
Mathematics Department, Istanbul (1994-1998)
Lefschetz Center for Dynamical Systems
Providence, RI (1991-1993)
Division of Applied Mathematics, Providence,RI (1993-1994 and 1990-1991)
Bogazici University, Istanbul, Mathematics Department (1986-1989); Physics Department (1983-1984)
Dynamical systems, delay differential equations, networks and graphs,
difference equations, control theory, delayed feedback systems, mathematical biology and neuroscience, industrial mathematics.
Coordinator of the
MatheMACS consortium: Mathematics of Multi-Level Complex Anticipatory Systems,
supported by the European Commission
under the 7th Framework Programme.
Editorial Board, Springer book series Advances in Delays and Dynamics.
- Executive Committee,
Complex Systems Society (formerly the European Complex Systems Society) (2007-present).
- Steering Committee, European Conferences on Complex Systems (2008-2012).
- Max Planck Delegation for improving scientific collaboration
between Germany and Turkey (2008-present).
- Selection Committee, Max Planck Society Partner Institute for Computational Biology, Shanghai (2011).
European Physical Journal B, topical issue for ECCS'09 (publ. 2010; with Holger Kantz)
Theory in Biosciences, topical issue for ECCS'10 (publ. 2012; with Markus Kirkilionis)
Track chair (2010) and co-chair (2009) for the track ``Mathematics and Simulation" for European Conference on Complex Systems.
Reviewer for Funding and Awards Bodies:
Reviewer for Journals: Nonlinearity, SIAM J. Appl. Dynamical Systems, J. Math. Analysis and Applications,Abstract and Applied Analysis, Phil. Trans. Royal Society A, Physica D, Chaos, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E,
Physics Letters A, J. Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, European J. Physics,
Int. J. Bifurcation and Chaos, Advances in Complex Systems, IEEE Trans. Circuits and
Systems, IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, Int. J. Control, J. Sound and Vibration, Nonlinear Dynamics, BMC Systems
Biology, Theory in Biosciences, J. Computational Neuroscience, Neurocomputing, Biological Cybernetics.
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council (RGC)
- Research Corporation for Science Advancement, USA (RCSA)
- Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)
- Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK)
- Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
External PhD Examiner, University of Bristol (2010).
- Mathematical Methods in Multi-Level Systems, Barcelona, Spain, Sept. 18, 2013.
- Modeling Neural Mass Action in Brain Networks using
Differential Equations, Berlin, Germany, July 22, 2009. (with Thomas Knoesche)
- Networks, Dynamics, and Biology, Leipzig, Germany, Mar. 6, 2009.
- Genetic and Biological Networks, Dresden, Germany, Oct. 4, 2007.
- Complex Time-Delay Systems, Paris, France, Nov. 17, 2005.
Honorary Lecturer at the Summer Academy of the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes) (2010).
Society Membership: American Mathematical Society (AMS),
Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM),
Complex Systems Society (CSS).
I have taken part in the founding of Artesis Technology Systems in 1998, and worked there as a senior research scientist as well as a shareholder until 2002. Artesis is a research company that develops original technologies in the area of model-based fault detection and condition monitoring for electrical machinery, and is a subsidiary of Arcelik A.S., a major European manufacturer of domestic appliances, better known for its Beko brand of products. My responsibilities at Artesis consisted of conducting and supervising the main research activities, including the modeling and analysis of nonlinear electro-mechanical systems; development of mathematical methods for system identification and fault detection, developing algorithms for control, parameter estimation, signal processing, and optimization, and implementing into high-tech industrial products. The original technology developed at Artesis has won several prestigious awards, among them the Technology Grand Prize of 1999, the biggest national technology award (see below).
Grants & Honors
Mathematics for Multi-Level Anticipatory Complex Systems, Coordinator and PI, 2012-2015.
Supported by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme; Total budget 3.3M EUR; EU contribution 2.5M EUR.
Discrete and Continuous Models in the Theory of Networks,
co-PI (with D. Mugnolo and P. Kurasov), 2012-2015. Supported by
ZiF, Center for Interdisciplinary Research, 100K EUR.
- Listed in Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering (2003-2009) and Who's Who in the World (2009).
- Landahl Travel Grant of the Society of Mathematical Biology (2005).
- Max Planck Society Research Fellowship (2002-2005).
- NATO Advanced Study Institute travel grant (2002).
The Motor Quality Monitor (MQM) system, developed and patented by our
research team at Artesis-Arcelik Technology Systems, received the
Technology Grand Prize (1999), the highest national technology award,
issued jointly by TUBITAK-TTGV-TUSIAD. Another original technology of Artesis,
the Motor Condition Monitor (MCM), was a finalist in the
competition for the same prize (2000).
MCM also received Control Engineering Magazine's
Editors' Choice Award in technological advancement (2000).
- Elected to Sigma Xi,
the Scientific Research Society (1992).
- Brown University Fellowship (1989); Graduate Assistantship (1990-1994).
Selected Invited Talks
- CHAOS 2013: The 6th Chaotic Modeling and Simulation Conference, (Plenary speaker), Istanbul, Turkey, June 11-14, 2013.
- Time Delay Systems: Stability & Control in Applications, pre-conference workshop of the
European Control Conference, Zurich, Switzerland, July 16, 2013.
- Global Systems Science: Role of models and data, Brussels, Belgium, Feb. 7-8, 2013.
- Oberwolfach Conference on Dynamics of Patterns, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, Germany, Dec. 16-22, 2012.
- Eugene Wigner Colloquium, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, Dec. 6, 2012.
- Coupled Networks, Patterns, and Complexity (Keynote speaker), Weierstrass Institute, Berlin, Germany, Nov. 19-21, 2012.
- 8th Dynamics Day Delhi (Plenary speaker), New Delhi, India, Nov. 10, 2012.
- Complex Processes in Plasmas and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems, Conference in honor
of Abhijit Sen, Gandhinagar, India, Nov. 6-9, 2012.
- Int. Conf. Delayed Complex Systems (Keynote speaker), Palma de Mallorca, Spain, June 4-8, 2012.
- Dynamics of Differential Equations, Conference in honor of the 60th birthday of John Mallet-Paret, Providence, USA, May. 4-6, 2012.
- Chaos and Complex Systems, Antalya, Turkey, Apr. 29-May 2, 2012.
- Istanbul Center for Mathematical Sciences, Turkey, Apr. 6, 2012.
- Mathematics for the Dynamics of Multilevel Systems,
Venice, Italy, Feb. 26-28, 2012.
- Mathematics in Network Science: Implications to Socially Coupled Systems,
Turin, Italy, Nov. 21-23, 2011.
- Spatio-Temporal Evolution Equations and Neural Fields,
CIRM, Marseille, France, Oct. 24-28, 2011.
- ICIAM 2011: 7th International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics,
in the invited mini-symposium "Delayed network dynamics", Vancouver, Canada, July 18-22, 2011.
- Delay Differential Equations in Applications: Common Themes and Methods
(satellite conference of the ICIAM 2011),
Vancouver, Canada, July 14-16, 2011.
- 9th Colloq. Qualitative theory of Differential Equations,
Bolyai Institute, Szeged, Hungary, June 28 - July 1, 2011.
- Mathematics in the Science of Complex Systems, European Centre for Living Technology,
Venice, Italy, Feb. 17-19, 2011.
- Colloquium of the Center for Nonlinear Science, Muenster University, Germany, Nov. 30, 2010.
- Graph Theory and Its Applications, Istanbul, Turkey, Oct. 15-17, 2010.
- Multi-Scale Dynamics and Evolvability of Biological Networks, Leipzig, Germany, Oct. 4-6, 2010.
- Perspectives in Nonlinear Dynamics, Bangalore, India, July 26-29, 2010.
- Nonlinear Dynamics on Networks, Kiev, Ukraine, July 5-9, 2010.
- 8th AIMS Conf. on Dynamical Systems,
Differential Equations and Applications,
in two special sessions: "Delay differential equations" and "Spatially structured oscillations and waves in neural media", Dresden, Germany, May 25-28, 2010.
- Joint BCCN Freiburg-Berlin Workshop on
Point Processes in Neuroscience, Buchenbach, Germany, Apr. 12-14, 2010.
- Eugene Wigner Colloquium, Technical University of Berlin, Germany, Jan. 28, 2010.
- Physics Colloquium, University of Ulm, Germany, Nov. 16, 2009.
- Delayed Complex Systems, MPI-PKS, Dresden, Germany,
Oct. 5-9, 2009.
- Networks: Dynamics and Flows, Warwick, UK,
Sept. 28 - Oct. 2, 2009.
- Bernstein Seminar, BCCN Freiburg, Germany, Sept. 17, 2009.
- 7th Pan-African Congress of Mathematicians
(Plenary speaker), Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast, Aug. 3-8, 2009.
- 4th Int. Summer School in Biomedical Engineering: Connectivity and Information Transfer in the Brain, Leipzig, Germany,
Aug. 13-27, 2009.
- Structure and Dynamics of Networks (Keynote speaker), Blaubeuren, Germany, July 9-12, 2009.
- Mathematics Colloquium, University of Ulm, Germany, Dec. 14, 2008.
- Complex Dynamics in Large Coupled Systems, Berlin, Germany,
Nov. 17-19, 2008.
- Weierstrass Institute, Berlin, Germany,
Nov. 21, 2006.
- Networks in Computational Biology, Ankara, Turkey
Sept. 10-12, 2006.
- 6th AIMS Conf. on Dynamical Systems,
Differential Equations and Applications,
in the special session "Delay differential equations", Poitiers, France, June 25-28, 2006.
- Dynamics on Complex Networks and Applications, Dresden, Germany, Feb. 13-24, 2006.
- Bristol Centre for Applied Nonlinear Mathematics, Bristol, UK, Nov. 4, 2005.
- Network: From Biology To Theory, Beijing, China, April 4-8, 2005.